What You Need
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup blanched almond meal
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 175 g (6 oz.) carrot peeled and grated
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) butter melted
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1 lemon juice and rind
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line 2 x 10 cm (4 inch) cake tins. Or you can use 1 x 20 cm larger cake tin. Don’t use springform cake tins.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the eggs, butter, coconut milk, carrots and stir really well.
- Fill the cake tins with the cake batter and place in to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the frosting!
- In your blender or food processor whiz the coconut until super fine.
- Add the butter cubes and continue to whiz, it should be getting smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, rind as well as the vanilla and continue to whiz.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread frosting on top of both cakes evenly, the carefully place one cake on top of the other.
- Sprinkle with a few extra walnuts!
- If your taste buds like it a little sweet, add 1/4 cup of 100% maple syrup or honey to the cake batter and/or frosting.
Recipe Courtesy Of themerrymakersisters.com